Tuesday 8 June 2021

Let me explain myself sweetheart

The old me was desperate for validation. Am talking about the dancer in me who stepped on the dance floor and everyone sat there taking in the show I used to put on. I wanted to be seen. I needed to be taken seriously so I came off too advanced around people who didn’t understand my gift of dance. The ass shaking and even before twerking was a thing. Only my bestfriend can attest to this. Dance comes naturally to me. I thought to myself if I earned respect through my craft, perhaps I would fit in. The more talent I showed, the more the hate came in. 

So I stopped dancing. I hid my talent to be normal. Everytime music spoke to my body, I would refrain myself from dancing. I was accused of showing off. She is always exaggerating. Yes, that’s how they used to shut me down. I was shamed for expressing myself through dance.

It’s not on them, it’s on me. I blame myself for believing people who didn’t understand my special skills. Like I am starting to tell myself I didn’t miss out on anything or opportunities because they didn’t have my name in them. Let me explain myself sweetheart.

When you say opportunity on it means it’s temporary. It can easily be taken off and replaced. Opportunities with my name in them means even if I ignore, deny or try to run away, it’s still my blessing and eventually it will find me again. No one else can have that. Only Njeri 💯

My dance moves now are explicit. Just like my intentions and motives. They thought they were serving me a #RealityCheck oh but when that music comes on, the only conversation my body is going to be having is #LetsFallInLove Let’s 💜 baibèé

No comments:

Post a Comment